Below is a list of benefits that may assist you in writing Governor Scott in support of SunRail.
SunRail: What’s in it for ME?
Real World Benefits of SunRail
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
• SunRail’s construction will create 10,000 desperately needed jobs, almost immediately.
• Over the next 30 years, SunRail will create more than 250-thousand jobs and generate an economic impact of more than 8-billion dollars
An Answer to Skyrocketing Gas Prices
• As our community is faced with a future of 4 or even 5 and 6 dollar-a-gallon gas, SunRail will give Central Florida’s residents a less expensive alternative to their automobiles.
An Alternative to Congested Roads
• SunRail will carry the equivalent of one lane of traffic on Interstate 4, providing a viable travel alternative to our increasingly-congested roadways.
A Quicker, More Reliable Commute
• Say goodbye to standing still on the highway during rush hour. SunRail will offer residents reliable, on-time transit that is not susceptible to long delays because of congestion or traffic accidents.
No More “Lost Time” Sitting in a Car
• Rather than sitting in a car, SunRail riders will be free to attend to the details of life while they are commuting, instead of focusing on driving.
• SunRail’s Wi-Fi-enabled cars will offer travelers the ability to work while they travel.
Reduced Sprawl, Smarter Growth
• SunRail will allow for the development of more walkable, livable communities.
Improvements to Florida’s Port and Freight Rail System
• The purchase of SunRail’s tracks from CSX comes with a unique commitment that every penny of the 432-million sale price be re-invested in Florida’s transportation infrastructure.
• This means SunRail will result directly in an increase in global trade in Florida by improving connectivity between our ports and major markets in northern states.
The Foundation for the Creation of More Mass Transit Options
• Planning is already underway to expand downtown Orlando’s free bus circulator, Lymmo, to connect with and compliment SunRail. SunRail will act as a catalyst for other Central Florida cities to expand mass transit options.
A Cleaner, Healthier Environment
• SunRail will reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and our community’s overall carbon footprint.
Help for the Elderly and Handicapped
• SunRail will give the elderly and handicapped residents of Central Florida a new means of transportation and enhanced ability to be self-reliant.
Bolstering Home Prices and Strengthening the Real Estate Market Against Future Downturns
• Within 20 years, property owners can expect an increase of almost nine times their current value for property values within one-half mile of station stops.
Access to Jobs and Opportunities
• SunRail will give residents expanded access to jobs. Conversely, the 61-mile commuter train will give employers access to a much broader base of potential employees.
Reducing our Reliance on Foreign Oil
• Every year our country gives 700 billion dollars away to the Middle East and other oil rich economies. This dependence threatens our economy. More important than money, this reliance on foreign oil threatens the safety of all Americans as our oil addiction helps feed the coffers of terrorist organizations bent on killing US citizens.
• SunRail is one part of a much larger energy strategy that would reduce Central Florida and America’s dependence on foreign oil.
A New Tool to Attract Companies
• Research has consistently indicated that superior mass transit options significantly aid in a community’s ability to attract new businesses to their metropolitan region.
A More Cost-Effective Way to Move People
• SunRail’s capital construction costs are $615 million dollars.
• The cost to expand I-4 to carry the same amount of people as SunRail would exceed $4 billion dollars.
A Smart Investment for our Future
• Every dollar invested in transportation yields approximately $5.60 in economic benefits to the state of Florida.